Saturday, January 21, 2012

[ns] Two basic questions

Hello everyone!

I have two basic questions regarding Ns2 simulations, which need more confirmation than information. I've searched Google for these, but I could not find an answer to such specific theoretical questions.

The first one refers to duplex links. As I get it, the duplex links in Ns2 are actually the pairs of simplex links. But from observing the simulation in Nam, it seems the links are actually full duplex, instead of half duplex (on most links the colisions happen when both sides send at the same time, afaik). Is all of this true and if it is, does it affect the accuracy of the simulation?

My second question is about the latency on the links. When the links are created, the throughput and the latency are one of the needed data. I'm guessing the latency is actually one-way latency, but I need the confirmation. So is the latency entered a round trip time latency or the one way latency? I'm trying to simulate a LAN connected to some other LAN on the Internet or some server. So my LAN connections are 100Mb with 1ms latencies. My Internet connection is 10Mb with 50ms latency. The LAN speed is the same as the speed of the LAN I have at home and I've measured my connection speed with one web tool, which said the speed is a bit less than 10Mbit/s. I've measured latencies with a traceroute tool. It said less than a milisecond for my lan and 35ms (RTT) for accessing Google. An average connection takes from my computer to different servers about 50ms acording to traceroute and ping. So, the question is, is this setup correct and should I enter 50ms latency for my Interne!
t connection or 25ms which gets doubled in round trip?

Thank you for any information you can give.

Andrej

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter

blogger analytics